Return Me to Myself: Disrupting the Dehumanization of Our Cultures and Spirits
Aired: September 8, 2020
Cultural/spiritual dehumanization occurs when the practices of communities of color are demonized, disregarded, devalued, or marginalized. We see cultural/spiritual dehumanization when a community’s traditional rites and practices are deemed indecent or animalistic because they vary from European religious traditions. Panelists will discuss how this is expressed in schools and communities, the health impacts on BYMOC, and offer solutions that reclaim and center cultural and spiritual identities in the learning process.
- Dr. Rabiatu Barrie, Adler University (Moderator)
- Dr. Rhonda Tsoi-A-Fatt Bryant, Forward Promise
- Dr. Howard C. Stevenson, Forward Promise
- Anpao Duta Flying Earth, Native American Community Academy
- Zakiya Sankara-Jabar, brightbeam
- Dr. William P. Jackson, Village of Wisdom
- Claudia Jasso, Amistades, Inc.
- Ron Walker, COSEBOC